WordPress was created in 2003 as a single piece of code to enhance the typography of everyday writing with a very small number of users. Since then it has grown massively into the largest hosted blogging tool in the world, used on millions of sites and seen by tens of millions of people every day. All of WordPress from the documentation to the code itself, is created by and for a community under an Open Source project, which means there are hundreds of people all over the world working on it (More than most large commercial software projects) This also means that it is free to use for anything from your dog's home page to an Industry leading web site without paying anyone a license fee, with the freedom to modify the application as you require.
- Full standards compliance
- Changes you make to your templates or entries are reflected immediately on your site
- Pages allow you to manage non-blog content easily, so for example you could have a static `About` page that you manage through WordPress.
- Links allows you to create, maintain, and update any number of blog rolls through your administration interface. This is much faster than calling an external link list manager.
- WordPress comes with a full theme system
If you are looking for a simple content managed website and are not sure how to go about this follow these instructions:-
1. Register a Domain Name
2. Purchase a Lite or Pro Web Hosting package. Note you cannot order a starter hosting package due to the fact that WordPress uses a database and the starter package does not come with any databases.
3. Login to the control panel and install WordPress.
4. Go to www.wordpressinstallationdomainname.com/wp-admin or yourdomain/wp-login.php
5. Login using the credentials your entered
6. Enter your website content.
7. Publish your content by clicking Publish.